So... I had transfers!

 
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2013 4:06 PM
To: Jim And Sandy Bever
Subject: Hi from Managua!

So ... I had transfers!
I thought I was just going to stay in my old area but last Tuesday I was told otherwise. I really liked Granada and the
people there. Now I'm back in Managua, just more in the city than where I was before. I'm in a suburb part where
its not so dangerous and the church is a little more established. I have a great companion: Elder Gomez (also from
Guatemala ... there's a bunch of them here). He has about 6 months in his mission and all of this time has been spent
here in this area. He's a really hard worker and we·re going to get along really well. I'm a district leader here and
have a district of 1 O missionaries in total. That means that 1 • m normally up pretty late calling everyone and getting
their numbers for the day. 1 ·m really excited to be here and am sure that we·re going to have success here like I did
in my last area.
So the last few days have been pretty crazy with transfers and all, I ·m just working on getting settled in a little bit
and getting into the swing of things. But I haven·t heard from Mom or my sisters for a couple of weeks, just don·t
forget to press SEND :) But I hope everything goes well for Thomas and finals. Tell him to keep his journal going
strong because mine has blessed me a lot during my mission, so far I have something written even if its only two
sentences for every day of my mission thus far. Not too bad. But 1 ·m actually playing the piano for Sacrament
meeting here ... YIKES! It's not too bad, I just need to practice a little before playing. Suprisingly I haven't lost it too
much, I think I've got like 10 or 15 hymns that I can play, so hopefully that will get me by without anyone getting
bored.
The last couple of days here 1 ·ve had a couple of really cool experiences already. First of all, I went on divisions with
the zone leaders here and we were teaching a lesson like normal and finished to put a baptizmal date with the
woman that we were teaching. I thought we taught pretty well but nothing out of the ordinary, when she stopped and
said that the words that we had said really touched her; that she felt something different when we asked if she
would be baptized. She, very simply, explained that she could feel something different even to the point where she
touched her arms and told us that what we were teaching wasn·t so much from us, but from her Heavenly Father.
She then started to cry and she told us that she knew exactly what she was supposed to do and that she was doing
what was right. Experiences like this really make things clearer not just for people like this woman but for me in my
mission.
The other experience came yesterday when my companion and I were walking down the road and he told me that
he was pretty thirsty. I, half jokingly, told him that in our next appointment wherever it would be, that someone would
give us a cold glas of coke (we drink a lot of coke here). The next appointment where we had planned to go fell
through and we contacted some family sitting on the side of the road. We taught the plan of salvation and I could tell
that they were really interested and understood what we were teaching. Then, all of a sudden, the mom left from the
patio and went inside. She came out with a couple of glasses of water and told us that she knew we didn·t ask for
anything to drink but she wanted to bring us something anyway (almost always the people ask us first). Then without
saying anything, the husband told us, ··who needs coke when you have a glass of water?·· I know that this was a
small tender mercy of my loving heavenly father, and as I looked at my companion and smiled we both knew
together how much we are loved.
I hope to hear from you all next week and look forward to being able to share with you all more good news.
Have a great week,

Elder Bever

Comments